About this training:
This training (slides) explains how to navigate issues central to most HIV confidentiality cases. It includes:
- A brief overview of New York’s HIV confidentiality statute and other relevant privacy laws,
- A review of administrative and litigation remedies,
- Effective ways to counsel clients about options,
- Strategies for choosing legal claims, calculating damages, proceeding under a pseudonym, and other issues; and
- Sample forms.
This training is for:
- Attorneys representing individuals in HIV confidentiality breach matters – including pro bono lawyers who do not generally practice in this area; and
- Counsel for health care facilities, social service agencies, and other entities subject to HIV privacy laws.
Though designed for attorneys in New York, Part 3 of the training contains information useful to attorneys in other states.