About this training:
This self-paced online course is designed to help health and human services providers understand the HIV/AIDS confidentiality laws in New York State (NYS). It was created by the Legal Action Center, in partnership with the New York State (NYS) Department of Health AIDS Institute (AIDS Institute) and CAI Global. It is available through the AIDS Institute’s Clinical Education Initiative (CEI), and you must register to take it.
The course gives a broad overview of New York’s HIV confidentiality laws, including who has to follow these laws, whose information and what type of information they protect, how they are enforced, and ways in which they permit disclosure of HIV-related information.
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Describe NYS laws that protect the confidentiality of HIV-related information
- Explain how NYS HIV confidentiality laws relate to HIPAA
- Describe the legal consequences for violating the NYS HIV confidentiality laws
- State circumstances in which you are permitted to disclose HIV-related information about your clients (“exceptions” to the confidentiality law’s non-disclosure rule)
- Complete an HIV release form properly
This training is for:
Health care professionals interested in HIV/HCV/STD continuing medical education. It is designed to meet provider requirements for initial training on confidentiality.
Register with the New York State Department of Health AIDS Institute Clinical Education Initiative (CEI) to take the course. CME and CNE credits are available.