About this Training:
Explains what case managers, social workers, advocates, and administrators can do when their clients’ HIV confidentiality or testing rights have been violated either by a third party or by their own agency in New York State.
This training is for:
Anyone who works with people living with HIV/AIDS in New York State.
- Client Advocacy: What to do When Your Client’s HIV Confidentiality or Testing Rights Have Been Violated (2014 PowerPoint presentation)
- Article 27-F Flow Chart (2017)
- HIV/AIDS: Testing, Confidentiality & Discrimination. What You Need to Know About New York Law (2018) An easy-to-use, comprehensive guide to New York State’s HIV testing, confidentiality, and discrimination laws. Updated in 2012, with an additional supplement in 2018, the manual provides a detailed explanation of New York’s HIV testing and privacy law (Article 27-F of the Public Health Law), including its relationship to HIPAA’s federal health privacy rules. The manual also reviews federal, state, and New York City anti-discrimination laws that protect people with HIV/AIDS. This manual is a must read for health and social service providers in New York who serve people with HIV/AIDS and also a vital resource for individuals affected by the HIV epidemic. Make sure to read the supplement located after the forward.
- Complaint Form for HIV Confidentiality Violations in New York (Oct. 2011) – The New York State Department of Health, AIDS Institute’s, form for reporting complaints about breach of HIV confidentiality under Article 27-F of the New York State Public Health Law.
- Health Information Privacy Complaint package by U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Office of Civil Rights (July, 2009) – This package contains a complaint form for violations of HIPAA and explains the filing requirements.
- FAQs and Complaint Form – Professional Misconduct by Physician/PA by New York State Department of Health, Office of Professional Medical Conduct (OPMC) – This packet contains frequently asked questions and a form for filing a complaint with the New York State Department of Health alleging professional medical misconduct by licensed physicians or physician assistants.
- Professional Discipline Complaint Form – Form to use for filing a complaint with the Office of the Professions of the New York State Department of Education alleging professional misconduct by licensed professionals other than physicians/physician assistants.
- New York State Department of Health, Health Facility Complaint Form – The New York State Department of Health’s form for reporting patient complaints against hospitals.
- Sample narrative to accompany complaint to New York State Department of Health for violation of HIV confidentiality rights or testing (2011)