A guide to what New York employers may and may not ask about your criminal record, how you should describe your record, and what rights you have to be free of job discrimination because of your record.
This guide is for individuals in New York State with criminal records or staff at social service organizations to help inform their clients about their rights while seeking employment.
Some of the questions answered by this guide include:
- What may employers ask about my criminal record?
- What information do I have to give employers?
- Will employers get my record through a background check?
- What can I do if the background check is wrong?
- May an employer deny me a job because of my criminal record?
- Sample job application questions and suggested answers.