Trainings and Technical Assistance
The Legal Action Center welcomes others to use its training materials, provided the Center receives appropriate attribution and no profits are earned from their use. Click on the links below for the Center’s training materials:
Legal Action Center provides education, training and technical assistance to thousands of programs, policymakers, and other organizations nationwide on topics related to addiction, HIV/AIDS, and criminal justice.
The Legal Action Center also offers trainings, upon request, to health and social service agencies in New York. Contact our office for more information about training on the topics listed above as well as the following topics:
- Overcoming Employment & Housing Barriers for People with Criminal Records
- Employment Rights for People with HIV, Viral Hepatitis, and Substance Use Disorders
- Client Advocacy: What to do When Your Client's HIV Confidentiality or Testing Rights Have Been Violated?
- How to Create and Update Your Agency's HIV Confidentiality Policies & Procedures and Ensure Staff Compliance
- Legal Rights and Risks of Adolescents in the Age of AIDS
- Public Housing Denials Due to a Criminal Record or Alcohol/Drug History – giving advocates the tools they need to help consumers who have been denied public housing or Section 8 because of a criminal record or alcohol/drug history.
- Rights of HIV-Positive Individuals with Criminal Records – covering how HIV-positive individuals with criminal records can overcome discriminatory barriers to employment, housing, health care, benefits and other critical services; covers primarily those barriers created by the criminal record.
- Significant HIV confidentiality issues in your agency: What HIV confidentiality issues has your agency confronted recently? The trainer will engage staff in a discussion about difficult confidentiality issues or questions your agency has faced. Prior to the training, you must email the Legal Action Center with a list of topics to address. This training is for staff who has already received a comprehensive HIV confidentiality/HIPAA training. It is NOT an annual in-service training.
- Discrimination based on HIV status or alcohol/drug history: This training covers laws that prohibit discrimination based on HIV status or alcohol/drug history.
To register for a training, use the AIDS Institute's Online Registration System.
Click here to visit the new system, which:
The first time you register for a training, you will be required to set up a user account and password. Once you register for training, you will receive email confirmation from HIV Trainings.
- is easy to use
- provides one-stop shopping - register for trainings offered by any AIDS Institute funded training center
- keeps track of all the trainings you have attended
- allows you to print out your own course completion documentation
- has an easy-to-remember URL: www.hivtrainingny.org